|Panzer Eight - Free Wargaming Rules||
Here is some more work in progress on my new Carro Celere Sahariano experimental battalion (see previous post). After washing the models, I glued the turrets in place with cyanoacrilate glue, then I glued the guns, made from 5mm sections cut from a thin iron wire. This step was rather fiddly, but the material of the models takes well the cyanoacrilate glue (I used the gel type) and with a pair of tweezers, and some patience, the result is passable and not too much fragile. I then glued the unpainted models on mdf bases; I always do this with 1/300 and smaller vehicles, because it gives me something to hold during painting.
I am not Michelangelo or Rembrandt, I must admit, and my painting technique is rather basic. First I paint overall the basic colour (in this case a sand khaki; I am not a purist and I tend to use the first pot I find in the box... in this case, GW Bubonic Brown looked adequate).
Next step was painting the tracks with gun metal, then I washed the whole model with a black ink wash. My personal recipe is 1 drop of ink / 20 drops of water, carefully try on one model and if it is too dark, add some water drops.
Last step is a drybrush with a very light sand colour (almost white...); I use this over every colour and in all theatres, with the double effect of weathering the model and helping the details to stand out.
After that I let everything to dry very well, and apply a protective hand of clear varnish. Stay tuned for the final part of the article... texturing the bases.